Jamie's topic was quite multi faceted touching on how we, as decorators and designers can improve our connections with U.S. furniture makers and getting the products to Canada with some great tips on working with the sales reps; ways to save on shipping; how many custom items are now being stocked and available immediately with shorter lead times and so much more great information. He also shared that many manufacturers are now listening to what Designers & Decorators ask for and we have become a driving force, inspiring furniture makers.
Jamie spoke about the connection between fashion and furniture and which came first. It's still up for debate but what isn't is the great information he shared with us on the latest trends coming out of the Highpoint Market, www.highpointmarket.org . To enhance his talk were the great photos and his wonderful sense of humour. He is a really fun guy!!
I will share some of the 'trends' -
- Mixing finishes - metals the golds and silvers.
- Duller finishes - brushed
- Crinkled finishes
- Rounder lines
- Accessorizing Walls with items other than Art
- Clocks - big both on walls and tabletop. A wall of many clocks is a current trend
- Vintage - reclaimed but not necessarily greyed - they are doing a reclaimed look
- Retro, metal
- 'Fashionista' style with curved legs, seats and 'details'
- Lots of patterns and colour
- Wings on upholstered Headboards
- Lots of tufting on upholstered pieces and in places like the sides of the arms, not just the backs
- Rolled arms are much smaller
- Mixing different styled dining chairs but keeping the same finish and fabric for interest
- COLOUR - very big Blue, Orange, Purple, Neutral and so on.......
Did I Mention Colour.....